Discounts and coupons offered to patients

My patients are reporting that they are getting spammed with coupons or discount offers for medications after a session with me, which makes it seem as if I endorse this.
THIS IS NOT OK!!
I never gave permission for this misuse of contact/text with my patients, unless it is buried deep in fine print.

1 Like

Your patients most likely have a security breach on their computers. It’s not something we are sending them.

@Adam thanx for that reply… may I ask if you are selling data (don’t get defensive please)

Not that I personally know of. Here’s what our Terms of Service say:

Except with respect to the Provider, content posted to a Virtual Waiting Room, Provider Content Doxy.me shall have a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Provider Content however Doxy.me desires, including without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and/or distribute such Provider Content and/or incorporate such Provider Content into any form, medium or technology throughout the world. Doxy.me is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Provider Content in confidence; (2) to pay to you or anyone else any compensation for any Provider Content; or (3) to respond to any Provider Content.

So this basically says, as I understand it, that doxy.me owns content you choose to publish in your waiting room and can use that in marketing materials and even sell it; but I think the first clause, the part I bolded, means info identifying the provider is excluded.

I’m not a lawyer, etc, etc.

We definitely don’t store any data whatsoever about patients, so there’s nothing to sell there.

If you would like more clarification on this, it would be best to use the help button in the platform, because then the question should get routed to people who know more about it than I do.

:+1: (this is just so the post is >20 characters)

If this ends up being determined that Doxyme has sold patients emails, we will report it as a HIPPA violation and shut Doxyme down with huge penalties…possibly criminal.

1 Like

Your comment is very irresponsible. Of course the company hasn’t sold patients’ emails, didn’t you read anything I wrote? We don’t even have your patients’ email addresses to sell in the first place.

You can put any fairytale you wish into a sentence starting with “if,” it won’t make it true.

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing. Knowing a patient’s email address (which we don’t) is not in violation of HIPAA. It becomes PHI when that email address is attached to the person’s medical information - i.e., john.doe@notarealemaildomain saw a therapist as part of his recovery from a shoulder injury. It is in that case that extra security and caution is necessary.