From the client's point of view

So I decided to see what it was like from the client’s point of view. I created a dummy patient and set up a visit with myself as therapist. I used fully updated chrome in a fully updated high end Windows laptop connected by wireless AC to a gigabit fiber internet connection as the patient and fully updated chrome in a fully updated high end Windows workstation connected by Cat 6 Ethernet to a gigabit fiber internet connection as the therapist. I figured what could go wrong. On the client’s computer when first loading the doxy.me site in chrome, the mouse lagged and the connection to doxy.me was dropped several times. It appeared that chrome was having to download a script to run doxy.me, There were no pop ups or warnings that any thing was amiss. As the client I had to refresh chrome, re-enter my name and re-enter the virtual waiting room 3 times before a stable connection was established. As the therapist I had to restart the visit with the client several times. Total time to get connected was about 5 minutes. After that things were stable and both audio and video were fine. I hope this was an unusual occurrence and not what my client’s usually experience. But on the other hand, many of my clients are connecting with smartphones and 1 to 2 bars of 4G LTE or worse.

3 Likes

Had similar issues yesterday with a patient that was actually connecting from a laptop that was in our facility on our network. Took 4 or 5 tries exiting and entering the waiting room for the connection quality to go from orange to green and for the provider to be able to establish a connection.

1 Like

I had the same issue for 2 days straight. Every visit I had I needed to restart several times before it connected properly. I was tld that it was the upload speed not download that did this. Not sure my issue was ever resolved.

1 Like

I’m not sure what your upload speed is, but I’ve tested mine and it is in the neighborhood of 600 Mbps. Theoretically you could stream a couple of dozen high def movie streams at that speed. It’s concerning that I can have multiple Zoom meetings running at the same time with no problems, but each time I try to connect with doxy.me, when nothing else in running on my network, it takes multiple restarts by both the client and myself.

4 Likes

Wondering why I persevere when all of these issues and more play out session to session? Upgrading to paid account does not matter, I’ve been paying for 3 months. Internet is high speed, signed up for 1000. Now, from the patient side my sound is choppy as well as the picture. From my side I am ok with a stable but unclear picture because it is as good as it gets!
Yes, the sound turns off, especially if I go from one patient right to the next. Mostly I have to sign out, sign in and start with the next person. The process continues no matter what speed or configuration the other person has. Been tracking for 3 months, had many consultations and continued to make this known to doxy (well, doxybot is as far as I can go for the circular help). No human contact is available, I have written on these lists multiple times and it matters not. Today, I will find a service that is reliable. Too bad, I really like the ease of use for my patients:(. Roll up the sleeves and prepare them all for a learning curve. Wish I could say more positives.

3 Likes

I’m not having a good time … many disrupted calls … thinking of going elsewhere.

1 Like

I, too, am having repeated problems with efficient client-counselor connections. Usually client and I have to back out and log back in at least twice to conduct session. Even then, there are often difficulties with static, screen quality, etc…struggling with Doxy and so are my clients!

1 Like

2 posts and both some of the best & thorough descriptions along with all the technical details; thank you! Seems like Doxy should take you seriously and warrant a response. They used to respond in March but its been mostly crickets for the last 2 months! :frowning_face:

1 Like

I don’t think doxy.me is inclined to address the concerns raised and may be a failing company. Customer support even for the paid version is non-existent. I’m starting to look at other options. Zoom is too expensive for the HIPPA compliant version $200 per month, but TherapyNotes now has telehealth, albeit in beta, on their platform.

2 Likes

Doxybot does not function correctly. I says I have not given permission for my microphone and camera in Chrome, but when I check permissions in Chrome the permissions are correctly set.

1 Like

Have performed just over 250 calls, average lenght of 14 minutes, and have never had this issues. We are connected from regular ADSL connections from the internet company, and this issue never happened to ourselves. Not once.

Might be local server issues. Where are you located?

Average length of my calls is 45 to 50 minutes. What services do you provide that are averaging 14 minutes in length? The minimum length of the CPT codes for behavioral health services is 16 minutes. CPT code 90832 is 16 to 37 minutes and that is the shortest of the behavioral health codes.

We average 14 minutes with up to 1.5 hours consultations and down to 3 minutes secondary maintenance calls from the patients. We are located in Panama and Guatemala.

I’m certain that most of the doxy problems are in the servers. I have no trouble with Skype, Zoom, or Facetime, but doxy is completely unpredictable

1 Like

Unfortunately the tech problems are ongoing. Sometimes I have had great difficulty signing in as has my client and it can take at least 10 min+ for us both to sign in which is a waste of valuable time. Other times static has disrupted my sessions and yet others we sign on only to not be able to hear each other. It’s quite frustrating and it doesn’t help that both me and my client did the pretest to start and it said all was fine so that feature is useless.

1 Like

This is such a useful conversation I have had these issues also since Mar They are intermittent Upgrading my laptop to the latest and greatest and optimizing internet has not helped.
Now when the audio doesnt work I simply call the patient We turn off the microphones, can see each other and have stunning audio I cant afford 5 minutes of tech support for every patient
Knowing this is not a problem unique to my patientients and my setup has made me think of using Zoom again they have fixed multiple security issues I have tried UpDox but the overall experience is primitive with camera controls and you can only send patient link 10 minutes before appointment.
I would really like more communications from something other than a bot that these issues are being addressed in a meaningful way

2 Likes

All sadly true-
Vonage is the the technology under the hood and works very well!!
So Doxy needs to see why their version is don’t working.
I will use on limited basis as it is easiest platform—
But do not plan to renew after my 1 year -
Yet still hope they will change—

2 Likes

I agree with all of your posts - I have been having many of the same issues and have raised concerns, questions, suggestions and complaints with Doxy multiple times over the past several months to no avail. I only receive the following standard responses - to direct patients to the help site or make to sure browser permissions have been enabled or updated… which are irrelevant in each case because we have already applied these “fixes” and Doxy still fails. We also pay for upgraded service - and would expect a reliable platform to provide telehealth services to our patients. I hope they will iron out these issues post haste!

1 Like

Hi, all. I am in accord with these posts emphasizing the frustrations of Doxy.me audio / video quality. I also believe that Dylan, who has been responding to many of these concerns, while sincere, does not know the full story from the software engineers’ point of view. About a month ago I started my backup plan. I signed up for Microsoft Teams (FREE) version. It required a bit of tweaking, but it works fine in terms of the audio / video issues. It lacks many of the other features that Doxy.me has. It will give me a BAA cert of HIPAA compliance if I comply and also sign up for an $8 per month business program. I also use Apple FaceTime. Works great every time…if the patient has an Apple iPhone. And is not going to be HIPAA compliant. Zoom has its own probs with audio video quality and costs a huge monthly amount if one wants a BAA. Now I have discovered INNOVOCCER and its INNOTE program. They have been working on the engineering for several years already, although they are just ramping up to accept new customers. They are positioning themselves to compete with Doxy both regarding features and pricing. So, I am giving them a try. I will hang onto my Doxy subscription, pay MS Teams (and apparently Microsoft is also an investor in Innovoccer), use FaceTime and Zoom as needed, and placate my frustrated patients who are putting up with all this techno-frustration. If anybody replies here, I will add more comments, and as long as Doxy.me doesn’t censor my comments, I will keep you up to date on my journey into telemedicine for individual practitioners and groups. FYI believe it or not I also have a telemedicine connection through my ECW electronic medical record at the Clinic where I work; that is not ready for prime time, either, and in any event does not deal with my private practice at all. If anyone else is experimenting, I’d love to hear from you.

1 Like

See Dralter at stream-end. Although my own experience agrees with you, DavPsy, I also seem to have fairly consistent issues with particular clients. Some are fuzzy consistently, but never lose the connection and voice consistent; others lose sound (sometimes mutual) and also visual choppy. I have had to use phone-to-phone for audio while maintaining doxy.me for visual. ANd others unstable both audio/visual. I have several computer geeks who assure they have the most up-to-date hi-speed internet who also go choppy! All said, some suggestion of client-end issues specific to client; some are “unknown-knowns”! I also see myself on doxy as fuzzy, so just ordered a higher-grade Logitech with autofocus, etc thinking that might improve quality.

With the onset of the pandemic I decided to go solo-remote. Gave up my brick and mortar. So I am definitely searching for a stable platform. I wish doxy would fix this. It’s very well designed for all except internet stability. Still, I too have begun the search.