Lab tests and doxy.me drop shipping

Hi everyone, I’m curious if anyone using doxy.me would benefit from the ability to easily send labs to patients’ homes via a third-party service called https://1health.io/ ?

If you are familiar with https://www.23andme.com/ you can think of it much like that, but for lab tests. You order a test, the test is automatically shipped to the patient, they self-administer and send it back with pre-paid shipping. You get the results when they are ready.

We have a quick mockup of how the integration might work here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C2lWtFkLGoZk7ayGA_oAWeVXFqD9bJdH/view?usp=sharing

Take a look and let me know if there is interest or if you see any possible problems.

Hey Dylan, interesting concept but I see issues with this. We use a reporting mechanism within my EMR and a more robust reporting mechanism through a third party vendor for various reasons (better reporting capabilities). When labs come into our EMR they come in as raw data and we can run reports, see trends, get alerts about abnormal results, etc. the solution you’re talking about would be like the colon cancer screening mail in materials but the results are faxed or secure emailed to a provider or provider office and the raw data can’t be consumed unless it is in a format were the EMR can consume it into the database so that we can run reports. Also, organizations like mine have sliding fee scales, contracts with lab companies, BAAs, HL7 interfaces that directly sends the raw data to our databases. So for us it wouldn’t work. Even in rural communities, this wouldn’t work. In NYC, let’s say, there are places where your doctors can send the orders to the near a nearby location and they can walk in , do the test and the data goes electronically in a raw format into the EMR database. So I would not see many viable applications. What I would like I see is remote monitoring built into the Doxy.me platform— For example, when a Bluetooth blood pressure cuff or Bluetooth glucose meter connects to the phone, if the results of those then the provider using Doxy can see the result pop in on the screen that would be amazing and I think a great feature. Or even if Doxy can read a Bluetooth device like a Fitbit or Apple Watch and gather the health data, that would be tremendous. Interested in your thoughts. Take care.

1 Like

For doctors that order lots of labs, reviewing the lab results in discreet format within the EMR is a must. So, unless the lab integrates with the electronica medical record that the doctor happens to be using, then it won’t be that useful and I would not order it within the other lab. When patients request that we use lab locations that are outside of our EMR interface, we do it, but it’s not ideal because it results as a fax which is difficult to track (need documentation in emr that it was ordered), receive,and review within an electronic medical record system. LabCorp and quest are the two national labs that integrate with most electronic medical record systems. So if you were able to integrate with those companies that would be good.
On the other hand, for doctors that do not order large volumes of lab testing, then this may be a great service because they are used to having labs return in fax format, and it may be convenient for patients. I could see this being very useful for dermatologists or other low-volume lab ordering docs. As far as documentation, it would be nice if there was a download that could be attached to the chart that shows that something was ordered so that for future follow-up and legal issues you would know that it was ordered as it could be placed in the chart as an attachment

1 Like

@medhavijogi and @CIO_Steven thank you both for your input! I definitely see what you’re saying. I’ll keep poking around to see if there is enough demand from providers that do a low volume of tests, but otherwise sounds like this isn’t exactly the biggest pain point to solve next.

@CIO_Steven I actually have a post coming on Bluetooth devices, so I’ll be sure to tag you in that so you can see what we’re thinking so far.

Is the provider entering the payment method or the patient?
That is not typically done by providers but by the lab. We really do not have time to enter all of that data twice. Lab orders are created in the EHR and the results would have to automatically populate in to the EHR. Manually entering the data is not optimal. As you are aware interoperability is always a problem.

@denlinger that makes sense to me. Thank you for the feedback.