Licensing and malpractice


Hello! I am new to this and apologize if I’m asking questions that have already been answered.

I have a Puerto Rican license, so does this mean I can only see patients in Puerto Rico? Can I treat patients while in a different state or overseas?

Also are there specific malpractice companies that you would recommend that I get? Thank you very much


Hi there! Thanks for using the community discussion board to post this question, as I think lots of people have the similar challenge.

Usually providers need to be licensed in the State the patient is physically in, but there have been advancements in legislation through The Interstate Medical Licensure Compact that “offers a new, voluntary expedited pathway to licensure for qualified physicians who wish to practice in multiple states”.

At first glance it doesn’t look like Puerto Rico is on the list, but there might still be options available for you to take advantage of it.

Another resource I usually point people to is the ATA’s State Policy Resource Center. Check them out and let us know here what you find out!