New Name, or at Least an Alternative URL

I’ve been using doxy.me now since mid March, and I’ve really been liking it. It’s mostly worked really well for me and my patients, and I’m very pleased with its thoughtful user interface and its ease of use. I’ve been enthusiastically recommending it to my colleagues.

But I gotta tell you, all – ALL – of my patients and some of my colleagues have looked at me funny when I told them the name of my telehealth platform is “doxy me”. They lump out into two groups. There’s the youngsters who say, “Doxy? Like… “doxxing” someone?” And there’s the oldsters, who say things like, “Er, you may not be aware what the word ‘doxie’ means…”

I’ve taken to referring to this as “The great telehealth platform with the really unfortunate name.”

And I gotta say, since I do know what the word “doxie” means, it’s not felt great, as a woman, to have to tell patients that my virtual office is at “doxy me”.

I appreciate you probably don’t want to rebrand your whole company, but BOY would it be great if we had the option of using another URL for connecting that we could give our patients.

And just so you know, given the reactions of so many of the people I’ve talked to about doxy . me, you ARE driving away business just because your name sounds like a slang term for a violence-recruiting privacy violation and a nasty slur on women.

Also I think it undermines patient confidence in the appropriateness and security of the platform. Though nobody has said as much, I get the impression some of my patients have initially thought I’ve chosen to use a non-clinical videochat platform – possibly one meant for unsavory purposes – because what professional telehealth platform would call itself “doxy.me”? Certainly when I’ve told patients and colleagues about this platform verbally, the initial response has been confusion and some incredulity about the name, “Did you say… ‘doxie’?”

6 Likes

agree, unfortunate choice of name.

Check out How did you pick the name "Doxy.me"? | Doxy.me Help Center

Doxy.me pronounced phonetically sounds like “doc see me”.

Also, “-doxy” is a Greek root suffix meaning “knowledge, truth, or wisdom” (eg ortha-doxy). It’s unfortunate that such a beautiful root word is being used in those other definitions. Perhaps we can help change that perception.

Doxy.me pronounced phonetically sounds like “doc see me”.”

Huh. Thanks for explaining it – that was non-obvious. Generally puns have to hew pretty closely to conventional grammar to be parseable.

Of course, many of us treaters aren’t doctors.

Also, “-doxy” is a Greek root suffix meaning “knowledge, truth, or wisdom” (eg ortha-doxy).

Hmmm, no, I don’t think so. “-doxy” is a Greek root from “δόξα”, and it means “opinion”, and was in classical rhetoric contrasted with knowledge and fact (episteme, ἐπιστήμη). Wikipedia tells us “In Plato’s dialogue Gorgias, Plato presents the sophists as wordsmiths who ensnared and used the malleable doxa of the multitude to their advantage without shame. In this and other writings, Plato relegated doxa as being a belief, unrelated to reason, that resided in the unreasoning, lower-parts of the soul.”

It is this sense of “right opinion” from which we get “orthodoxy”. Meanwhile the Greek stem for “wisdom” is, famously, “sopho-” (“philo+sophia” = “love of wisdom”), and the Greek for “truth” is “aletheia”, but usually when we need a stem to mean “true” we use “eu-” (good, true).

It’s unfortunate that such a beautiful root word is being used in those other definitions.

It’s maybe not as beautiful as you thought. What’s unfortunate is that you didn’t vet the term before adopting it.

You know, I spent five minutes over on Namecheap, and there’s a bunch of very promising domain names available now in .care, .healthcare, and .video. Those new tlds are not too picked over yet, and even the squatters seem to have pretty modest prices.

1 Like

You’re welcome to go create a new telemedicine platform and name it whatever you want.

And would doing that help grow this service? I want to see doxy succeed. That’s the whole point of this comment.

BTW, is this also Brandon Welsh under another username?

2 Likes

Interesting point (s) and information. However, I think the timing is way off. We are in the midst of a global crisis. Changing the name (and marketing the shift) in the middle of a pandemic and with Americans suffering near-record job loss, is a poor business strategy and tone deaf to the suffering of millions.

I personally have no problem with the name- I have heard of doxxing, of course, but I had never heard the term “doxie” in reference to anything other than dachshunds. “I was walking with my doxie last night” has always meant a dog walk to me, until now. “I want to play with my doxie” will now elicit at least a moment of pause from me to consider the possibilities…

Work arounds-
If the name bothers anyone, it isn’t that hard to work around it, to create your own hyperlink that has embedded within it the actual url. Lots of my clients call me Dr Cliff. Just for fun, I just now created a clickable link I could email or text to anyone that reads “Dr Cliff’s Online Waiting Room” which has the embedded url of my doxy.me waiting room. Maybe it took 30 seconds? Maybe a minute? Here’s an embedded link to a doxie site, if you don’t know what embedded link means. <<Click that.

And, if anyone really wanted to, you could also easily create an embedded link to your doxy.me waiting room on any web page you can edit. But since I don’t really care, I don’t need to work around anything. I will just use the url as is.

1 Like

@integrationbyparts–Thank you for your thoughtful critique and spirit of support! I don’t remember where I heard the term “loyal critic,” but you have made your whole-hearted support clear from the beginning and are clearly offering information and opinions to improve this service.

I didn’t know what the slur doxie meant until recently when I told a shrink friend of mind about this. He did look askance. I had thought Doc See Me was what it referred to, but I’m on the US side of the pond.

Anyway, thank you for going out of your way to help the company improve its product for all of us!

The doxy.me team consistenly asks for feedback. I think this is just what they hope for. And I salute @integrationbyparts for going out of her way to share something to try to make things better for all of us.

@nancyellner The Doxy.me team consistently asks for feedback.

@integrationbyparts, I absolutely agree with you, I coudn’t believe it when I heard the name of the video platform my office was to use. I really hate to tell anyone that my room is at “doxy me katana”, when in my head that reads “sailor’s whore me katana”. It’s awful. I feel embarassed that others might also see it that way. I actually conducted a survey of my friends to see how many knew the word (many did), and got a lot of laughs when I explained why I was asking. It’s also why I avoid referring to it by name, usually referring to it as “our video platform” or if I have to, I will always say/write “doxy.me”, rather than just “doxy”.

I agree it’s not about re-branding per se, but possibly offering another choice of URL, the way some email addresses offer different domain names.

@drheegel, thank you very much for that suggestion to embed the link. That is a really useful workaround, I had not thought about that at all, as I do not have my own webpage so have not ever made my own embedded links. I am definitely going to try that out to embed in my email invitations. Unfortunately, that is not an option when sending the automated text (which is how I remind clients who have not shown up on time).

Fortunately we haven’t had much trouble with this (yet) but it’s always in the back of my mind and I do worry that it might come up eventually.

I’m not saying that the service as a whole has to rebrand, necessarily… but for what it’s worth, I would totally pay more to have a custom domain that’s branded to our practice and doesn’t include the word “doxy”.