Preview should match patient view

I would appreciate it if the preview that I saw more closely matched what the client can see. I have recently learned that they can’t see about the top and bottom quarter of the preview. This means that I thought I had looked farther away, with a little space around me, when actually the very top of my head was cut off in their view.

Yes, no wonder some clients have complained that I look like I’m right in their face!

Ruth, in case it’s helpful –

I’ve done a fair amount of work to make all-video, all-day less exhausting. The single thing that was the most effective was to move back from the screen – like just over an arm’s length from the laptop keyboard. It was a cognitive shift from thinking of it as a computer to thinking of it as a camera. This is much easier on the eyes, gives a better feeling of being “in the room” with someone, and allows me to use body language more (talk with my hands, etc – a great relief to me). Clients began to do the same (when possible) when I explained, and that helped a lot too.

The second most effective thing was optimizing my lighting (and asking clients to make small changes in lighting when necessary). When we can see and read each other better, there is less screen fatigue.

Best,
Monique

Monique, Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Actually, I have great lighting and I sit about an arm’s length from the computer. I place myself carefully so the I’m properly framed–or I thought I was doing so. If the image of me is so inaccurate, it’s hard to know where to sit, especially since I’m constrained by the lack of a virtual background.

Ok, sorry for the unsolicited and unneeded advice! We’re all working it in these strange times. And yep, back to my original complaint – working so hard and it would be lovely to have the necessary visual feedback to support that, in the form of accuracy of the preview.

I totally agree. And you have nothing to apologize for. Thanks again for reaching out.