Split screen on three-way call

I’m a couples therapist. Some of my couples need or want to meet with me on separate computers requiring a three-way call. Doxy doesn’t appear to have a setting for seeing both members of the couple on my monitor, enlarged, side by side, simultaneously. Right now I only see a large view of the speaker or by ‘pinning’ someone’s video. It’s important that I have an enlarged view of both side by side simultaneously.

6 Likes

I have the same question and just posted it. Can you get all participants in smaller boxes on side of screen and then person talking is shown large on screen? Like you, I work with couples, and when you include more family members it becomes increasingly difficult to see the expressions on the faces (non-verbal communication) of those “in the room” not speaking.

3 Likes

I can get all participants in small boxes (with the person talking shown large screen) but, as you say, I can’t see the non-verbals. Zoom (which I’ve stopped using due to security issues) has a split screen function that works well. Apple FaceTime as well.

To my knowledge, Face Time and Zoom are not HIPPA compliant.

Zoom is HIPPA compliant and I have a BAA from them. Conversely, HIPPA has recently been relaxed to permit FaceTime and Skype to be used for TeleHealth.

Douglas Johns, LCSW

Collaborative Couple Therapy

www.MarriageCounselingPDX.com

811 NW 20th Ave., Suite 304
Portland, Oregon 97209
503-252-3739

info@MarriageCounselingPDX.com

Zoom is HIPPA compliant and I have a BAA from them. However, given COVID-19 the government has relaxed HIPPA law and is allowing FaceTime and Skype to be used for TeleHealth.

Sounds like you are talking about a gallery view for group calls. Our development team is aware of this request!

4 Likes

Didn’t know it is called Gallery View for Group Calls. Good to know. Yes, VERY important for those of us who treat couples and families.

2 Likes

Hi Douglas,
I just checked out your website and am VERY impressed. I see you work only with couples and have training in Gottman’s model and Sue Johnson’s EFT model. I did not know about getting a BAA from Zoom. Everyone I interact with seems to agree that Zoom is the gold standard for a gallery view on group calls. I was aware that the government relaxed the HIPPA standards due to COVID-19. Since there is a learning curve on these programs, I hadn’t spend much time on Zoom. Now I need to check it out. Like you, I treat lots of couples and I also work with adolescent males and their families. Thanks again. Scott

Having worked in telemedicine for years, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of safety, security and accessibility that I have only found in doxy.me
I have been through the ringers with security breaches and application downloading issues with many other platforms. The organic encryption of the doxy.me model of online environment is the gold standard for security. That said the design is not ideal, yet, however over the past few years they have been working, little by little, to adjust features to create a more ideal working environment.

Below I will attach some articles on Zoom’s security breaches.

It is so important to reflect on priorities (similar to Maslow’s hierarchy) and notice that safety comes first.

1 Like

I agree that Doxy.me needs to have a ‘gallery view’ for group sessions - otherwise the Group feature is not helpful.
FYI - Zoom is only HIPPA compliant if you are using the $200/mo version; the free version and lower cost versions are not HIPPA compliant.

1 Like

This is what I found in my investigation too. $200 is too high for me for now and i HOPE the doxy team keeps this as a high priority to create gallery screen. My laptop has a relatively large screen so I can work around it being able to see the faces of those not talking. The more concerning problem is when two people speak at the same time for a few seconds and the screen jumps back and forth between speakers.

Zoom is $200 per year, not per month.

Douglas Johns, LCSW

Collaborative Couple Therapy

www.MarriageCounselingPDX.com

811 NW 20th Ave., Suite 304
Portland, Oregon 97209
503-252-3739

info@MarriageCounselingPDX.com

Douglas. You must have jumped in at the right time. Here is what it states on their website:

Zoom for Healthcare
Video conferencing that keeps you connected and compliant
HIPAA/PIPEDA enabled plans start at $200 per month per account, which comes with 10 hosts.
Please contact sales for signed BAA for HIPAA enabled compliance and to learn about 1, 2 and 3 year pre-paid packages.

1 Like

Yes, this would be extremely helpful. It’s very confusing when you can only see the speaker. A gallery view would be much better.

courtneyl, glad that Development is aware. Is it in progress with an ETA? I agree with others that this is a must in working with more than one person at a time. My bad that I assumed that a gallery view was what I was purchasing with the Pro version in order to have multiple callers at the same time. I was disappointed last night during my first online couples session that I had to continue to click on the thumbnails to bring either person ‘forward’. I was aware of it requiring some of my energy and focus, which I would much rather put on my clients.

2 Likes