Weekly product update: Big improvements to group call feature, and more! (May 1, 2020)

Hi everyone! In this week’s doxy.me product update we can announce changes that will lead to improved stability and usability of several features:

• Group calls will now require less CPU usage and bandwidth. When in a group call, users will now broadcast one stream, which is then routed to other participants in the call, rather than broadcast separate streams for every individual participant. This will lead to better call quality, especially for users on older devices or with low-bandwidth connections. Other tips for improving your experience with such devices or connections.
  • Our developers have also made some changes to make sure patients can immediately see when their provider is online and available.
  • We have also made some slight improvements to the appearance of the Manage Users and Shared Rooms sections tabs for Clinic accounts.
  • Last week, we introduced a new in-window pre-call test tool; we now fixed an issue where it would occasionally close the pop-up before the test was completed.

Imgur

• Finally, we’re also happy to announce we’ve added some great talent to our development team, so we can keep all the exciting additions and improvements coming. So head to the Feature Requests forum and let them know what you’d like to see them add next!

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Be sure to check out previous weekly updates if you missed them:

7 Likes

Adam, this is all great, but what about the issues with iPhones camera being disabled after a pre-call test? The only fix is to exit, re-enter from the link and

start over without a test. It has been happening for a few days now.

2 Likes

Hi Larry, does this help as a work around for the pre call test disabling the camera after the test on iPhone or iPad:
As a work around I’ve seen that if the patient clicks on the GEAR icon (See pic below) and flip from front to back camera it should turn the camera on without having to refresh the browser

1 Like

Yes, that will work as a work-around. Thank you.

These are nice changes, but if my calls are dropping and the video quality is poor, these are not very useful. What is being done to address the basics of having clear audio and video?

7 Likes

The basic probkem I have is i have is with voice quality, delay and echoing - makes for very awkward conversations - still not worth me using this platform although I’ve tried many times. Till better quality happens and it’s less cumbersome I’ll have to pass

1 Like

Just want to thank ya’ll for your responsiveness and improvements. This platform was a lifesaver for our practice when we went on Shut Down. We are learning new things daily to improve the functionality — like directly plugging into the router, having everyone else on both sides of the call off the internet , using headphones etc. Just wanted to say thanks ( in a sea of complaints:( ).

1 Like

Agreed! This is exactly my question. In two sessions today I had to leave the call and use a different platform to be able to communicate with my clients. This is very frustrating.

1 Like

We are seeing issues where group calls with 4 people (physician, patient, + 2 family members all in separate locations) results in odd muting behavior. It seems only 3 out of 4 can be unmuted? We’ve had a few calls about this (I’m on the IT side, not a provider). I’m wondering if there is a bug related to mute state if one user is muted and the next user joins unmuted, etc?

Has anyone else experienced weird mute/audio behavior?

Edit – hitting the sync button would toggle which person (3 or 4) was muted. But they were unable to have everyone be unmuted.

2 Likes

I, and my team, really like the Doxy platform - and we agree that dropped and cut-outs on sessions, poor video and other consistent issues are creating clinical issues. We had a suicidal client whose connection froze and cut out during a session - and we switched to another platform.
We have used Doxy video and cell phone audio as a work around - but that’s not an answer.
We are open to suggestions -
Everyone stay physically distanced, socially connected and healthy !
Greg

1 Like

Thank you for making Doxy.me so easy to easy to use. I have noticed if my patient or I get a phone call while using the call it will sometimes turn off the audio or camera. I was having the odd muting issue too but it seemed to work better today after the upgrade.

On Wed I had a family session and had to manually pin the speaker to the screen throughout the 60 min session. Needless to say this interferes with my attention to the speakers and the process. This has never happened before – it usually automatically spotlights the speaker. Was that a one off on my end or something related to a recent change?

It would be incredibly useful in a group call to be able to see all the participants at once as the silent reactions of the listeners are often as or more important than the words. Is there currently a way to view everyone simultaneously?

Thanks!

E F

3 Likes

I concur with your last comment. I would love to have a couple and myself the same size on the screen (like a Zoom community shot). Very important, like you said to be able to see other’s reactions. This would be my preference even for individual sessions — same size for patient and myself on the screen.

3 Likes

In 6 weeks of using doxy, i have never had the connection problems I am having now. I had to reboot several times, lost clients(one to one) several times per session and couldn’t get back on Doxy server several times. I am considering a different platform if this happens next week. It was really impossible to work with.

K

3 Likes

Thanks for the revamp of the community site,Adam
The feature requests page is a 404
https://discuss.doxy.me/c/feature-requests/16

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the heads up. There were some technical issues that meant I had to recreate that page, it is now here: Feature Requests - Doxy.me User Community

I thought I had made it so that the old link would redirect to the new one, but apparently I have some work still to do. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same question. Is there a timeline for that feature (where we can see all conference callers simultaneously)?

Thanks for all your hard work Doxy.me team!

1 Like

I can’t give you a specific timeline, I’m sorry to say. All I can tell you is that we are planning on introducing it. I wish I could tell you more. We know lots of people are clamoring for it!

Like other doxy.me users, I am receiving negative comments on group therapy sessions, and frustrations from therapists who are dealing with traumatized individuals. Video and audio problems during these type of sessions are, to say the least, disturbing. I would hope that the identified updates address these issues.

1 Like

Hi, have you tried suggesting the patient set the phone to do not disturb mode before their appointment, you can as well, this will reduce the incoming calls. The phone will always give priority to the phone over a browser app when a call comes in. Outside of turning off the data plan and using only Wifi, using the do not disturb may reduce the calls the best.