Wide angle camera view

Is it possible to set the camera view either on my macbook pro or on Doxey for a wider view for EMDR hand movements?

Hi There,

We dont have any controls over the camera to widen the view within doxy.me. As you switch from LD to SD to HD the view will get wider, but nothing that can be controlled by the user for a specific setting. The webcam would need to come with an application that can control those settings on the camera to allow a wide view.

There is an app you can use if the client is using a tablet or computer, rather than a phone. https://www.bilateralstimulation.io/ It has a colored ball that moves back and forth across the screen. You can set the color, speed and add sounds. Free!

I thought I would add a helpful comment as a clinician and user that should help you. I would being by noting that widening the camera angel is really a function of the camera and not the software as it comes down the cameras ability to widen the actual view. Most inexpensive cameras do not have that feature. So, I have the less than ideal solution and the ideal (expensive) solution.

• EASY (NON-IDEAL) SOLUTION: If it is possible to back away from the screen, you should be able to get more of you, including EMDR movements, into the field of view.

• IDEAL SOLUTION: When you want to control your field of view on the user side of things (and if it is important to your practice), I highly recommend a better webcamera. Personally, I use LogiTech BRIO (I use their products for Keyboard, Mouse, and Webcamera) which camera that will allow you to change the Field of View and ZOOM (In or Out). With BRIO, you will have three hard set Fields of Views (Angels of 65º | 78º | 90º) plus the ability to Zoom within each. it is also possible to create camera mode profiles that you can toggle between to move back and forth.

In addition to web broadcasting, I use this on the occasional I am working with EMI (which is the actual origin of Shaprio’s EMDR and uses all six points from Neurolingistic Programing) which I mention because I do not just use lateral eye-movements but all six points so FoV is more of an issue.

BACKGROUND: One other consider you might want to think about is your background. In office, clients will focus on your finger tip which tends to result in a blurring of background. In camera, you might have a sharper focus (depth of field) so I would suggest a simple background as opposed to a busy office background (books, shelves, and such) a simple drop screen works. BRIO also has autofocus or manual focus control so you could narrow depth of field. I agree background is a minor issue relative to camera angle though, if EMDR/EMI/NLP are your bread and butter, then considering it is important - sometimes in the office is just the best option - I have a colleague who specializes in EMDR and she went back to the office for her EMDR clients - wearing masks and practing social distancing - months ago after vaccinatinos came out for health providers.

ON BRIO/LOGITECH: While there are other brands of cameras and knock-offs that do the same or similar things, I have found, for me personally, Logitech is a solid company with decades in the industry and their products are solid (usethem for Keyboards, Mice, and Webcams plus G-HUB Suite manages all the devices settings in one place). Other companies may have equivalant or knock-offs, but more me it is the best choice and what I use (which in my view, short of mouting an SLR Camera w/Video Cabilities - very expensive and technical - is the best option).

At the time of this writing, Amazon has BRIO marked down from $199 to $149 (November Sales). Trust me, I am not trying to SELL a Brio. It’s what I use and know, buy what you want, especially if you are a techie.

ADVANCE MEDIA & TECHIES - a full featured SLR would work even better… but SLR Cameras are really expensive and are for photographers and videographers. I use Logitech, as they are an excellent company - my keyboards, mice, and webcameras - as they have a suite that manages setting for all three of them in one software. Also, for those with the talent, Green Screens work wonders for creating all kinds of backgrounds including simple ones, but allow you to transition them based on needs.

SPECIAL NOTE: With BRIO, when the software updates, sometimes you have to go back into the setting as and reconfigure. If you have saved your settings on a custom profile

SUMMARY: In closing, I hope this help some folks out there… I think the simplest ideal solution is invest in BRIO (or similar webcamera) that has built in features (i.e., Field of View, Zoom, Focus) and learn how the camera works - it’s not hard but does require experimenting and/or YouTube Tutorials Also create a simple background for your sessions… with a simple background.

All the best…

This is a great help ckornbluth! I have downloaded the app and tried it out with myself. Now planning to try it out in vivo with a colleague before using with my clients. Thanks!

MCLCPC ~ I just now read your post… very interesting. I have noticed and thought about the live focus on fingertips consideration and also think that virtual contact with people also messes with my ability to calibrate other physiological information that we notice in a live situation. RE: backing away for wider angle: tried that and didn’t care much for the shrinking people issue.

I have a camera that I am going to install (with my engineer B-I-L’s help) above my internal MacBook camera (a HyperCam HD 1080p USB Web Camera that I got at the UT university
computer outlet). I will be looking into the camera you recommend as well.

RE: background. Since I closed my professional office a year ago I am more cramped into a home office with book shelves behind me and have covered the books with white foam board that gives me a good backdrop for my hand movements.

Thanks for all the detailed information. JN